Atlanta Out Loud

Politics and rantings and just stuff that catches my attention.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

'For Service, Speak English' What's wrong with that?

The Ohio Civil Rights Commissions says it violates an Ohio law that makes it "unlawful for any proprietor of a place of public accommodation to deny the full enjoyment of the accommodations based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or ancestry."

Does anyone see "language" in that list???? I didn't either.

I remember once a shopkeeper in Brussels yelling at me as I was trying to puchase a diet coke and didn't understand how much it was: "WHAT DO YOU WANT?!?! FRENCH? GERMAN? ITALIAN? SPANISH? ENGLISH?" So, in one of my best smart-ass-white-boy moments, I replied "Nihongo, o kudasai!"

http://atlantaoutloud.blogspot.com/2005/10/for-service-speak-english.html
0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment